Thursday, February 25, 2010

Facial Hair and Dex

Well Denise has been posting a lot so I thought maybe I'd help her out and update everyone on what I have been up to recently. The title of the post may seem random... but it isn't I promise I'll tie it all together as soon as I can.

Well this semester I decided to take only 3 classes rather than the 6 that I was originally signed up for, I did that so I could spend extra time with my wonderful wife. I also signed up for a couple of organizations on campus, one is called DEX and the other is PBL. Dex is the college version of DECA and PBL is the college version of FBLA. This last weekend we had a the DEX state competition and my friend Jason and I signed up for the web design team competition. We are working on a website for our senior project together and decided to finish it in time for the competition and submit it. We didn't get it done in time and so we turned in another site for the state competition. Our plan was that if we qualified for Nationals we would finish our other site and submit it at Nationals. To qualify for Nationals you had to place in the top 4.

Also at the competition is when DEX elects new leadership, Jason is the current VP of Technology for DEX and he graduates at the end of the semester, because I didn't take summer and only took a half load this semester I will be graduating next Spring so I still have another year of school and competitions etc. I decided to run for the position that Jason is in right now and just see how it works out.

I WON! I was however the only one who ran ;) but even still they could have voted no to me and they didn't so I still beat the alternative right? Also Jason and I presented our website at the conference and we won 1st place, one of the judges even left his contact information for us to contact him about a job once we finish school. It was pretty exciting! And that means we qualified for Nationals! So in April we will be flying out to Louisville to compete in the National DEX web design competition.

Ok now the facial hair, I haven't shaved since the wedding day, for a little while I was sporting a pretty thick beard but last night I trimmed it down to a goatee and mustache. I am doing this because Denise and I have planned to throw a little party at the end of March... Its a MUSTACHE PARTY!!! And its gonna be awesome! To prepare for such an event I wanted to get myself in prime mustache shape. And on Monday I will be shaving off the goatee and Mustache March will officially begin! Thats right Tom Selleck get ready to eat your heart out! Or just lick the mustache off your lip! I am super excited about the party, I think Denise is excited too because she started looking at mustache stuff for the party one day and was sending me all these awesome ideas! Its gonna rock!

Well here are some pictures really fast of me at the DEX competition, you'll notice the beard, I'm sure that we'll get some pictures up between now and the party and also pictures of the party. Its gonna be legen...

Wait for it!!!!




Wait For It!!!!






WAIT FOR IT!!!!





DARY!!!

Ok so here is UVU's Chapter
(The competition was at Weber thus the banner in the background)

Here is Jason and I waiting for the winners to be announced


And here we are on the podium after the winners were announced


5 comments:

Lynda said...

I waited for it and while it was very exciting I was hoping it would say I won a million dollars! Darn!

Jenny said...

So Jason wants to be just like you and is growing a beard. Congrats again on first place! Were you surprised that you and Jason took 1st? I have come to expect that from him. I hope you two have fun in Kentucky!

Jason L. Wright said...

I am no longer growing a beard.

Kelli said...

you know who you look like?! y'know al from tim the toolman taylor? yah...him. LOL!

ps: you'll have to ask nate why HE is the only cop on spd NOT sporting a march madness mustache. ask him!

Lisa said...

Very exciting news! I totally did DEX in college too (weird since I was a sociology major, but my roommates were business majors, so that is how I ended up doing it) I have fond memories of Louisville. It was totally fun! Hope you guys are doing well!